Follow celticthndrgld on Twitter

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

When some one takes the game too serious...

Every so often I run into the elite PVPer who takes the game so seriously it sucks the fun out of the game. Typically if you run into this kind of person you can simply put them on ignore and walk away. But when they are in your own guild what do you do?

Often times this sort of player will bring drama into the game by, making snide remarks to members of his own guild. The know it all stance becomes clear and evident. He is or (she) is the Alpha dog in the pack. Fall in line and get told what to do down to the ship you pilot. This person can be so obsessive about the role of Alpha dog he or she will create spread sheets to show on paper what is the best build and design or a character, ship or other item in game.

Admittedly I am an alpha female gamer. But not in the way described above. I am outspoken and will not take crap off any one. Especially an Alpha Elite like described above. I suppose I was like that in my earlier days of MMO play but over the years I came to realize that fun was more important than if you win or lose.

If you are not having fun, then playing an mmo is really a waste of time in my humble opinion.

Recently I was in a "guild" that had such an individual (he was not my guild leader). He had the spreadsheets on all the ships in the the game. He knew it all. He was the authority and was in charge and boy his bark let you know he was in control. He even went so far as to blatantly tell you what you were flying was a "piece of shit" because he wanted to put this elite team. The problem was he assumed I wanted to be part of his elite team and never bothered to ask me. Next thing I know I am being barked at and ordered around.

Whoa! Hold on partner. Who are you? Ah I see. A no name elite player trying to fill your ego up by controlling others. You have lost sight of the point of an MMO. It is not a basketball team. It is not some league. It is a GAME to enjoy. Now I suppose if like minded players want to come together and be led as a league that is their 15.00 a month and more power to them.

To force that on others who do not share your vision is wrong. To create DRAMA in a guild over your vision is wrong.

In the end I decided to leave the guild. It was more hassle than it was worth. I would rather fly solo than deal with that any day.

So how does this fit in with the SWTOR guild I run? It is just more knowledge and experience to make sure as a leader this does not take place in my guild. While we will PVP from time to time Celtic Thunder is not going to be an elite minded pvp group. We as a guild play to have fun and that is the way it is going to be.

Those with the mind set I described above are not welcome to be part of the guild. It is as simple as that.

In the end, you can have all the spread sheets and data at your finger tips but if you don't like what you are playing or flying then you will not have the heart and soul of what you are doing. That is what is more important than number crunching. Loving what you play.

Now here is the million dollar question: Was he like this towards me because I am a female player he thought he could control? Who knows. But suspect that was the part of the case.

~Jessica / AKA Cerina

2 comments:

  1. I think you're absolutely right that those elitest types that require everyone around them to understand their character or what they're doing down to a mathematical science absolutely, positively take the fun right out of the game. I see way too much of it in WoW, and was beginning to see it in Rift even.

    I think that the internet enabling a sense of anonymity has allowed for this explosion of apathy and total disregard for the fact that you actually play with other human beings is probably one of the major root causes of this issue. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ktaylor8309 I think you hit the nail on the head. Excellent points. I think it is very possible that people like this have failed some where in their real life and are trying to make up for it on the internet because no one can actually see them.

    ReplyDelete